Thursday, May 1, 2008

Getting There

I just got back to my dorm room after my last final. I just finished my junior year of college and I am officially on summer vacation, sadly, my last one as a student. However, doing as I usually see fit, I decided to go out with a bang and take maybe one of the last opportunities I'll ever have to study abroad as a student. So, in a little less than three weeks time, I will be landing in London with my partner in crime, Miss Hillary Hopkins. We'll live and study in central London for 5 weeks and then we'll travel for about 10 days to France, Switzerland, and Ireland.

It feels like it has been coming for so long, and after the last 3 chaotic weeks of school, it still hasn't really set in that I'll be living across the Atlantic, away from everything I know, for 6 weeks. I know 6 weeks seems like nothing to more fortunate people who have spent extended periods of times overseas, but in my case, it's my first time doing anything like this for longer than a few days. This is really going to be a test of character and, hopefully, a life changing experience.

The way the program is set up is really intense, but the only way I see fit to "study abroad." Basically we there are three courses I'm taking (history, english, art/engineering) that are all structured around the city of London. It's been embedded in our heads in our preparation mini-course, "The City Is Our Text." Of course there are 4 novels to read and binders worth of assignments, but this is only to further our understanding of what we'll be learning on the go. We meet in a common area once a week to discuss what we've been learning and experiencing, but other than that, we are weaving our way through the city and learning as we go. No doubt about it, that's pretty sweet.

After I return from my European adventures, I plan on taking a road trip to Springfield, Illinois and Memphis, Tennessee with Dom, possibly a trip to Florida with my best girlfriends, and a greyhound bus ride to Boston with Hill to visit a fellow friend and photo major, Lauren, which will all end up documented in here at some point. Money will be an issue, but when isn't it?? I may have to reinstill my job as a newspaper delivery girl to pay for my lavish (haha) lifestyle during the weeks I'm actually home, but that's okay with me. This is what I want to do with my time and I'll find a way to make it happen!

So now what? Well, I've got to tie up some loose ends around UD and move out. Then I'm home for about 2 weeks, not working, which is probably a mistake on my part. Nevertheless, I'm going to take that time to recover from finals, catch up on some London reading, shopping, and packing, and just spend some quality time with my family, friends and pets. There will probably be a couple odd photo jobs here and there, but nothing too heavy before leaving on that jet plane!

I wish you all the best with finishing up school. I will do my best to regularly update while I'm away. Feel free to comment or email me @ bakeramc@notes.udayton.edu, and keep me posted on your summers as well!

1 comment:

Hillary said...

I can't wait to be your flatmate and travel buddy. woo hoo!! Let the countdown begin :)